There are very few places online that actually sell DRM-free content, and it’s not going to be from major studios. There is some great stuff out there, though: stand-up comedians like Louis CK, Aziz Ansari, and Jim Gaffigan have all started selling specials as DRM-free digital downloads. Archive.org has a big selection of DRM-free movies, news programs, and more. There are also a lot of great DRM-free web series’ and podcasts out there, on channels like Revision3, which are worth watching (and are even available on iTunes).
All that is great, and you should definitely check it out. But, when it comes to movies from the big boys, you aren’t going to find any DRM-free versions in legit stores. The movie and TV companies are obsessed with copy-protecting their content, which means if you want to watch popular movies and TV shows, things get a lot more difficult.
In this post I will show you several ways to get DRM-free movies and TV shows. Check it now!
Method 1. Remove DRM Protection from Movies and TV Shows
If you want to get DRM-free iTunes movies and TV shows, you can use some DRM removal software to help you do that. They can free restrictions from movies downloaded or purchased from iTunes, Amazon Instant Videos, Windows Media Center, Zune Marketplace, BBC iPlayer, Xbox Live Store, uTorrent, FrostWire and more. Here is the two best DRM converter that I strongly recommend.
- Remove DRM from iTunes M4V movies, TV shows, episodes and music videos.
- Convert iTunes M4V video to DRM-free MP4 with zero quality loss.
- Retain all AC3 Dolby 5.1 Audio, AD, audio tracks, subtitles and closed captions.
- Break the 24 or 48 hours watching period on iTunes rental movies.
- Output 1080p/720p HD videos with 100% original quality preserved.
- Completely compatible with macOS 10.12 Sierra and iTunes 12.5.5.
- Remove DRM protection from M4V, WMV, ASF, etc. video files.
- Bypass DRM encryption from audio files purchased from iTunes, Audible, Zune, Napster, etc.
- Convert both DRM-locked and DRM-free video/audio files to all popular video/audio formats.
- Convert videos optimized for portable media players, like iOS/Android devices, PSP, PS3, Zune, Xbox 360, etc.
- Support multi-threading process and batch conversion.
- Fully compatible with Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP.
You can choose the one that suits you best to help you get rid of DRM protection. Here are some related guides that can help you get better understanding of how these DRM Removal software work.
Method 2. Record Movies and TV Shows Yourself
If you want DRM-free copies of your favorite TV episodes, you can always record them yourself using a TV tuner in your computer and a good recording program. Most TV tuners will record over-the-air TV just fine, but if you want to record cable channels, you’ll need to shell out quite a bit for a tuner with a CableCARD (especially now that cable channels are encrypting more content than ever).
Of course, this is a lot more work than buying and downloading what you want, and you can’t actually record something until it’s on TV, which means past episodes and movies will be a bit harder to come by (you can’t just get a whole season at once and watch as you please).
If you want to get DRM free movies, you can try the above options and see which way works the best. Good luck!